Monday, April 12, 2010

It's not my turn

Itʼs Not My Turn

Do you know when you have “that feeling”....Something that leads you to act in a way that doesnʼt make logical sense. I remember well when I was prompted by the Holy Spirit, obeyed and am so thankful that I did. As you know, in caring for your parent, there are days when you feel overwhelmed.... appointments, errands, groceries, laundry, phone calls all for them... the list can go on and on.... As dad began to get weaker, the list of my/my sisterʼs responsibilities grew. We took turns when it came to the doctorʼs appointments and these appointments became closer and closer together. Sometimes it was overwhelming. Getting him safely in the car, folding up his walker, helping to buckle, some of you know the drill........If we knew we had one month or 50 months, we could have dealt with every detail so well--it was that unknown...... In April 2007, one appointment was coming up and it was my sisterʼs turn to take him. It was her turn. It was not my turn. I had taken him to the last appointment. In my head, I rationalized that it WAS NOT my turn. Why I kept thinking about it over and over, I did not know. I called my friend, Holly, who I knew would agree with me that indeed it WAS NOT

my turn, and that I should let it go. I had a family to care for and it WAS not my turn! She was always a wonderful sounding board with my joys and frustrations and a godly friend with a level head. But what my wise friend said to me was, “Well if you canʼt get it out of your head, maybe you should go?” But it wasnʼt my turn I stomped inside my head in a tantrum. But I DID listen to the wise advice of my friend and not to my own selfish voice and I went to the appointment. I was sure that when we got to this appointment, that there would be some revelation related to his health or some amazing new information during the appointment and that was why I was “supposed” to go. But the appointment came and went and nothing. No new info from the doctor, no new meds, no new diagnoses, nothing...... Untillllllllllllll....., he was admitted by ambulance a few weeks later and THAT appointment was dadʼs last doctorʼs appointment that we ever drove him to. Glad I went? What do you think?

Moral of the story: Listen to that small still voice inside, walk this road with others who love you well, and love and serve the Lord well, by serving your mom or dad. Be still so you hear promptings to do what is right even if it is not your turn!

No comments:

Post a Comment